More

Dean Wood Golf Club

Book a Tee

Club History

On Wednesday January 4th 1922 a meeting took place in the Council Offices at Orrell and it was resolved, after considerable discussion that a golf club be formed and that it should be known as Dean Wood Golf Club. Later meetings took place in the Abbey Lakes Hotel (today the Raj Gate) and the Stag Inn. Subscriptions were initially £2 for men and £1 for ladies. The chairman of the first meeting was Mr R O 'Sporty' Hall who became the first captain of the club.

Clubhouses

In the absence of proper facilities, the original members 'made do' with nails driven into an oak tree, on which to hang their coats, but fairly soon a wooden clubhouse was built (at a cost of £175) on the site of the present greenkeeper's bungalow, near the 13th tee. Later, a second clubhouse with 2 storeys and a flat roof was built off Lafford  Lane, and that in turn was demolished in the late 1980's to make way for the present clubhouse.

Course

In the early days, the 9 hole course (present back 9)  started on what is now the  13th hole and finished 9 holes later on the present 12th with what must have been a nerve-racking final drive. At an EGM in 1932 it was decided to expand the course to 18 holes and the famous Mr James Braid (5 times Open Champion) was commissioned to design 9 more holes comprising the current front 9.


Dean Wood Golf Club - Lafford Lane, Up Holland, Lancashire, WN8 0QZ

Telephone: 01695 622219 | Email: secretary@deanwoodgolfclub.co.uk


        





Created by intelligentgolf version 10.1.2.